Position: Associate professor
Dr. Antonio Sarria-Santamera is a physician dedicated to improving population health, through understanding what works in Medicine and developing high-performing health delivery systems.
His research focuses primarily to provide science-based insights to strengthen health care systems, improving quality and performance, with particular interest in Non-Communicable Conditions (NCD) because of the impact that those conditions pose to patients, health systems and society at large. Antonio has contributed to expand our knowledge regarding how we approach the management of those conditions looking at ways to make health care better, including the use of Information and Communication Technologies, as well as using population based data platforms for improving patient care, with a very special emphasis in strengthening Primary Care. He has published widely in this field and has led several national and EU projects. To highlight the EUPRIMECARE project, whose objectives were to assess quality and costs of Primary Care systems across Europe, and CHRODIS+, an EU project aimed to tackle NCD through the implementation of innovative practices and policies across Europe. His work in the area of implementation is based on the principle that for sustainable quality improvement is essential to understand the influence of the local organizational culture, which determines how individuals learn, interconnect, self-organize, and co-evolve with their environment, usually in non-linear dynamic ways.
Antonio graduated from Universidad de Zaragoza Faculty of Medicine, Spain, where he also received his PhD and obtained his specialization in Public Health Medicine from Hospital La Paz, in Madrid, Spain. He was a Fulbright Fellow at the Department of Community and Family Medicine at Dartmouth Medical School. He has also been a Visiting Scientist at Duke Clinical Health Policy Research Center. He has had clinical and health policy positions in Spain and before joining Nazarbayev University he was a Senior Scientist at Instituto de Salud Carlos III, where he was the Director of Health Technology Assessment for 10 years, as well as Associate Professor at Universidad de Alcala Faculty of Medicine. He has mentored many doctoral, masters level students, medical residents and students. Dr. Sarria-Santamera is a member of EUPHA, sections on Chronic Diseases and Health Services Research, and of ISPOR.
- Wagner M, Samaha D, Casciano R, Brougham M, Abrishami P, Petrie C, Avouac B, Mantovani L, Sarría-Santamera A, Kind P, Schlander M, Tringali M. Moving Towards Accountability for Reasonableness – A Systematic Exploration of the Features of Legitimate Healthcare Coverage Decision-Making Processes Using Rare Diseases and Regenerative Therapies as a Case Study. Int J Health Policy Manag. 2019 8;8(7):424-443. doi: 10.15171/ijhpm.2019.24. PubMed PMID: 31441279.
- Prado-Galbarro FJ, Gamiño-Arroyo AE, Sánchez-Piedra C, Sánchez-Pájaro A, Sarría-Santamera A. Evaluation of the effect of hospitalization on mortality in patients with heart failure followed in primary care. Arch Cardiol Mex. 2019;89(2):130-137. doi: 10.24875/ACM.M19000022.
- Valderas JM, Gangannagaripalli J, Nolte E, Boyd CM, Roland M, Sarria-Santamera A, Jones E, Rijken M. Quality of care assessment for people with multimorbidity. J Intern Med. 2019;285(3):289-300. doi: 10.1111/joim.12881.
- Goetghebeur MM, Wagner M, Samaha D, O’Neil W, Badgley D, Castro-Jaramillo H, Abrishami P, Sarria-Santamera A, Cleemput I, Tringali M. Exploring values of health technology assessment agencies using reflective multicriteria and rare disease case. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2017;33(4):504-520. doi: 10.1017/S0266462317000915. Epub 2017 Oct 11.
- Prado-Galbarro FJ, Del-Cura-González I, Garrido-Elustondo S, Gamiño-Arroyo AE, Sánchez-Piedra C, Sarriá Santamera A. A Comparison of Methods for Modeling Factors Associated with Hospital Admissions in Incident Cases of Heart Failure. Rev Esp Salud Publica. 2017 24;91. pii: e201705034.
- Sanchez-Piedra CA, Jaruseviciene L, Prado-Galbarro FJ, Liseckiene I, Sánchez-Alonso F, García-Pérez S, Sarria Santamera A. Factors associated with professional satisfaction in primary care: Results from EUprimecare project. Eur J Gen Pract. 2017;23(1):114-120. doi: 10.1080/13814788.2017.1305350.
- Sarría-Santamera A, Hijas-Gómez AI, Carmona R, Gimeno-Feliú LA. A systematic review of the use of health services by immigrants and native populations. Public Health Rev. 2016;37:28. doi: 10.1186/s40985-016-0042-3. eCollection 2016.
- Blaya-Nováková V, Prado-Galbarro FJ, Sarría-Santamera A. Effects of annual influenza vaccination on mortality in patients with heart failure. Eur J Public Health. 2016;26(5):890-892. Epub 2016 Sep 10.
- Cimas M, Ayala A, García-Pérez S, Sarria-Santamera A, Forjaz MJ. The patient satisfaction questionnaire of EUprimecare project: measurement properties. Int J Qual Health Care. 2016;28(3):275-80. doi: 10.1093/intqhc/mzw024. Epub 2016 Mar 18.
- Pérez-López P, Baré M, Touma-Fernández Á, Sarría-Santamera A. Relationship between volume and in-hospital mortality in digestive oncological surgeryCir Esp. 2016;94(3):151-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ciresp.2015.09.005. Epub 2015 Nov 23.
context of current and futurewater resource management and mitigation activities in Central Asia
Yapiyev, V., Sagintayev, Z., Inglezakis, V., Samarkhanov, K., Verhoef, A., 2017 In : Water (Switzerland). 9, 10,
Underground water resources in Kazakhstan
Sagin, J., Adenova, D., Tolepbayeva, A., Poryadin, V., 2017 In : International Journal of Environmental Studies. 74, 3, p. 386-398
Assessment and forecasting of the subsurface drain of the Aral Sea, Central Asia
Panichkin, V., Sagin, J., Miroshnichenko, O., Trushel, L., Zakharova, N., Yerikuly, Z., Livinskiy, Y., 2017 In : International Journal of Environmental Studies. 74, 2, p. 202-213
Power to the People: Disaster Resilience support with advance energy storage systems
Sagintayev, Z., Collins, N., 2017 In : Materials Today: Proceedings. 4, 3, p. 4555-4560
Spatial and temporal variability of snow depth derived from passive microwave remote sensing data in Kazakhstan
Mashtayeva, S., Dai, L., Che, T., Sagintayev, Z., Sadvakasova, S., Kussainova, M., Alimbayeva, D., Akynbekkyzy, M., 2016 In : Journal of Meteorological Research. 30, 6, p. 1033-1043
Groundwater inflow modeling for a kazakhstan copper ore deposit
Sagintayev, Z., Yerikuly, Z., Zhaparkhanov, S., Panichkin, V., Miroshnichenko, O., Mashtayeva, S., 2015 In : Journal of Environmental Hydrology. 23,
Influence of hydrological connectivity on winter limnology in floodplain lakes of the Saskatchewan River Delta, Saskatchewan
MacKinnon, B., Sagin, J., Baulch, H., Lindenschmidt, K., Jardine, T., 2015 In : Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 73, 1, p. 140-152
A water coverage extraction approach to track inundation in the Saskatchewan River Delta, Canada
Sagin, J., Sizo, A., Wheater, H., Jardine, T., Lindenschmidt, K., 2015 In : International Journal of Remote Sensing. 36, 3, p. 764-781
Monitoring the freeze-up and ice cover progression of the Slave River
Das, A., Sagin, J., Van der Sanden, J., Evans, E., McKay, H., Lindenschmidt, K., 2015 In : Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering. 42, 9, p. 609-621
The importance of RADARSAT-2 imagery in monitoring river ice cover characteristics and behaviour
Lindenschmidt, K., Das, A., Sagin, J., 2014 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc., p. 1186-1189
A remote sensing contribution to hydrologic modelling in arid and inaccessible watersheds, Pishin Lora basin, Pakistan
Sagintayev, Z., Sultan, M., Khan, S., Khan, S., Mahmood, K., Yan, E., Milewski, A., Marsala, P., 2012 In : Hydrological Processes. 26, 1, p. 85-99
Red Sea rifting controls on aquifer distribution: Constraints from geochemical, geophysical, and remote sensing data
Sultan, M., Yousef, A., Metwally, S., Becker, R., Milewski, A., Sauck, W., Sturchio, N., Mohamed, A., Wagdy, A., Alfy, Z., Soliman, F., Rashed, M., Becker, D., Sagintayev, Z., Ahmed, M., Welton, B., 2011 In : Bulletin of the Geological Society of America. 123, 5, p. 911-924
Trace element geochemistry of groundwater from Quetta Valley, western Pakistan
Khan, S., Mahmood, K., Sultan, M., Khan, A., Xiong, Y., Sagintayev, Z., 2010 In : Environmental Earth Sciences. 60, 3, p. 573-582
The twentieth-century migration of parabolic dunes and wetland formation at Cape Cod National Sea Shore, Massachusetts, USA: Landscape response to a legacy of environmental disturbance
Forman, S., Sagintayev, Z., Sultan, M., Smith, S., Becker, R., Kendall, M., Marìn, L., 2008 In : Holocene. 18, 5, p. 765-774
Geochemical, isotopic, and remote sensing constraints on the origin and evolution of the Rub Al Khali aquifer system, Arabian Peninsula
Sultan, M., Sturchio, N., Al Sefry, S., Milewski, A., Becker, R., Nasr, I., Sagintayev, Z., 2008 In : Journal of Hydrology. 356, 1-2, p. 70-83
Phone: +93 78 220 0944